Dr. Goehring welcome you back to the Goehring Dental wisdom tooth blog! We know that getting your wisdom teeth removed can be an arduous experience and many people are unsure of what to expect. In an effort to make the procedure more comfortable and transparent, we want to provide a brief list of some tips we think you’ll find helpful. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our friendly and experienced staff at our Austin, TX office.
Tips for Wisdom Teeth Removal in Austin, TX
Wisdom teeth, or third molars, typically erupt between the ages of 17 and 25. Dentists recommend removing them for a number of reasons. First, if bacteria build up around partially erupted molars this will increase the risk of infections — impacted wisdom teeth can be challenging to clean, contributing to an increased probability of tooth decay and periodontal disease. Second, wisdom teeth can change the alignment of your jaw if they grow in sideways. Third, if there’s insufficient room for your wisdom teeth to grow into this can cause tumors and cysts in the area of the third molar.
An estimated 75–85 percent of people need to have their wisdom teeth removed. If you are one of the 237–269 million Americans who need to undergo the extraction procedure, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- The discomfort experienced after a wisdom tooth extraction is not necessarily any greater than the pain you will feel if your wisdom teeth partially erupt.
- Plan to rest for two to three days following the surgery, although many of our patients are able to work and recommence daily activity the day after.
- Schedule a consultation with Goehring Dental in Austin, TX and be prepared to ask any questions you may. Make sure to plan the procedure for a date that is convenient for you and do not hesitate to communicate any concerns you may have. We are here to help make the process easy and comfortable for you.
- Make sure to follow the instructions given to you before and after the extraction to ensure a healthy and complete recovery. Remember to thoroughly brush at least twice a day and floss daily!
- If you experience any undue pain or discomfort, especially after the third day, contact Dr. Goehring.
If you are a student, you may find it ideal to schedule your wisdom tooth extraction procedure during spring break or summer vacation. After the surgery, make sure to rest and relax!
Schedule Your Wisdom Tooth Consultation in Austin, TX
Are you experience the common wisdom tooth warning signs? Are you unsure of whether you even have wisdom teeth? Schedule your no-obligation consultation at our Austin, TX office today!